Friday, September 16, 2011

How to cook gluten free meals

Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch. 
Orson Welles

You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces - just good food from fresh ingredients. 
Julia Child

I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something. 
Mitch Hedberg

More food quotes can be found on this website.


I should have this printed on business cards and hand them out when necessary:

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you, and be silent. 
Epictetus  


Like Julia Child says, keep it simple.  I'm no fancy cook.  I don't keep a gadget-filled kitchen.  I don't make up my own recipes.  My honey likes a duality of protein-rich grilled/baked/steamed dinners and unhealthy diner/American food.  (What is American food, you ask?  I believe it's the American versions of foods immigrants brought over, along with foods from the farm.  For example, there ain't no burritos in the real Mexico, and pizza in the U.S. ain't nothin resembling what you find in Italy, if you get my drift.)
So here are some pictures of foods we prepare at our house.  
Rachael Ray's Honey Chicken w/Spicy Lemon Rice: Tasty, but labor-intensive- I elaborate here

Stuffed cabbage from allrecipes website- tastes way better than it looks!

My Marine made dinner- Johnsonville Sweet Italian Sausage gluten free on Rudi's bun (so-so), veg and fruit.   He also selects the dishes, lol.


When I plan meals for the week I consider:
  • protein variation (one fish, two poultry, one beef or pork or buffalo(buffalo has a pleasantly soft texture, and not a strong gamey flavor you might expect), one tofu/beans/vegetarian); I hate lamb, venison, etc.
  • prep time/ease of preparation (with just 2 of us, we try to cook at home at least four dinners a week, and a fifth leftover or frozen night.  I eat out 0-2 dinners and 1 breakfast  or lunch a week.)
  • price (having lived in CA where avocados are sold on the side of the road 4 for a dollar, I won't pay $2 for one; shop coupons/sales; we buy organic when it's affordable.)
  • freshness of available ingredients (I like to buy unfrozen fish and fresh cilantro and garlic, for example.)
  • flavor variation (if one meal has soy sauce, we won't pick another one with it that week) 
  • food pyramid/plate guideline (my mother taught me to shop for the 4 food groups, and I've adjusted it to be sure a plate is half vegetables, a quarter protein and a quarter brown rice/quinoa/starch/bread.  We mostly eat yogurt, broccoli, and drink orange juice for calcium.  I also try to limit processed foods.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gluten Free Favorites